Teacosy: Adventures in freemotion stitching

IMG_1891

Before Christmas I blogged about using free motion stitching for the first time – to quilt random curly swirls on to our Advent Calendar. In researching how-to’s for that project, I came across people using free motion in all sorts of ways – to write, to draw, to colour-in. It has this messy, sketchy quality that I love. Some examples are below:

fm1

Simple but effective FM tree bark, via Skip to My Lou

fm2

How sweet are these FM badges?? via The Sock Garden

fm4

I love this FM nana, via CurlyPops

For Christmas I got a whole load of craftbooks (thank you mum!) including All Sewn Up by Chloe Owens, a beautiful book full of colourful projects using applique and embroidery. The instructions are clear and well illustrated, the photos are beautiful and the projects are all things you would want to give/have.

All Sewn Up Cover 1

One of the first projects is a teacosy, with an illustration of a little girl losing her umbrella. The girl is made from fabric scraps, cut and adhered, with freemotion detail added on top. I thought this would be a great way to have a go at some creative freemotion-ing, and use up some scraps – which we are already drowning in, oops.

The book is great in that it includes photocopyable pattern pages for each of the projects. For each piece of my little girl, I traced the shape on to double-sided fusible webbing, ironed them on to my scraps, cut them out, peeled off the paper and ironed them on to the backing.

photo (2)bphoto (3)bphotob

Once all the pieces were stuck down I took a deep breath (and a swig of tea) and got stuck in to the freemotion details. I used black thread and started with the umbrella. It came out, frankly, pretty wobbly. Chloe Owen’s FM look like graceful pencil sketch lines. Mine looked more like a toddler let loose with a crayon. But I pressed on and gradually got better. I added creases and a pocket to the coat and movement to the hair. I left the face until last but it came out surprisingly well. The only parts I didn’t trust myself with were the eye and flower. These I added by hand afterwards.

The construction of the teacosy itself is straightforward and I only made a couple of modifications: The first issue was that once I’d turned the cosy out my lining didn’t want to sit inside. It kept poking out, giving me a line of the contrast fabric around the bottom, which I didn’t love. Solution? I ironed it in to submission and put a line of topstitching around the bottom. Fixed. I also handstitched through all the layers in a couple of places at the top of the cosy, to keep the lining in place.

IMG_1890 IMG_1895I have to say I love the end result, wobbly lines and all. I made it as a belated birthday present so it’s getting wrapped up tonight. But I might just have to make another. And I’ll definitely be trying more freemotion projects this year.

xxx

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Teacosy: Adventures in freemotion stitching

  1. thesockgarden says:

    Freemotion stitching is such fun isn’t it. Your teacosy looks lovely, I particularly like the fabric you’ve chosen for the umbrella. Many thanks for the link to my little badges too. I hope you carry on enjoying your sewing experiences. I’m off to investigate that book now 🙂 Shaz x

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s