This skirt story actually starts with a blouse.
A really lovely part of my job is that I get to work with wonderful people from all over the world… And a cool side effect of that is that they occasionally send me beautiful gifts from all over the world! This blouse is one such item, straight from Mexico. It’s feather-light cheesecloth cotton with gorgeous embroidered flowers across the front and back yoke. I received it on a Friday, right in time for a garden party on the Saturday… I just needed a skirt to go with it.
I had a clear vision for my skirt – short, simple grey chambray, with a centre-front seam and exposed zip at the back (both design features I loved when I made my denim Brumby). The blouse is billowy so I didn’t want anything voluminous – no pleats or gathers this time. So I drafted a super simple A-line pattern, following these instructions. You basically work from your waist and hip measurements and add a couple of darts for shaping. Then just pinch in the darts and retrace to draft the facings.
When I came to cut out, I decided to use the fringed chambray selvedge along the hem. This hadn’t been my original plan but upon closer inspection it was just too pretty not to use. I ran a line of zigzag stitching around to stop it unraveling too far. I double topstitched the centre-front seam in white and orange to tie in with the colours in the selvedge and to add a tiny, visible-to-probably-only-me detail (love those). I inserted the exposed zip at the back using the Brumby method.
And that’s it. It probably goes without saying that this was a super speedy half-morning project. But I do love the result. Especially with my Mexico blouse.